Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I'm Back!

It's been a while, but I am ready to return to blogging! I stopped for a while while I was back in school (after 27 years) to get my Masters Degree. I am happy to say that I now have graduated from Liberty University with my degree in Professional Counseling! I remember reading in Henry Blackaby's book, Experiencing God, that when you see God at work it is your invitation to join Him. For years people would come to me for counsel, so I decided to be professionally trained.

It was not easy getting my nose back in college texts, studying for tests, and writing many long graduate-level papers.  I would much rather write posts on this blog! However, I am so glad I followed through. I learned so much, especially during my year as an intern. Here are some of my lessons:
  • You know that saying, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."? Well, that is true! Successful therapeutic relationships are built on rapport between client and counselor. 
  • Counseling is NOT giving advice! It's more about coming along side someone and encouraging them in their journey to their own revelation.
  • It is important to listen and ponder what you hear before responding. Reflective listening is the best. People appreciate when you listen and reflect back showing you care about them and what they just said. Too many people spend the time the other one speaks to think about what they want to say instead of truly listening.
  • Stop and think about what you are thinking about. (You are probably doing that right now!)
  • Self-care for the helper is a needed priority. You will not be help to anyone if you are burned out.
  • Let go of stereotypes! If you don't, you might miss out on a rather fulfilling relationship.
  • Prayer is imperative! Even if the client is not open to prayer, silent prayers can still happen. I've had many instances in a session when I did not know what to do. God answered my silent prayers and guided as only He can do! Sometimes those prayers answered were about giving me guidance, and sometimes they were about softening the client's heart to be able to receive.
I thank God for teaching me these lessons. I also thank God for all that has taken place these three years. I am experiencing the start of the next season of my life leading to an empty nest as my oldest daughter graduated from high school and is now in her second year of college as a Music Ed. major. Another mile marker in my life is that I had my ordination transferred to Harvest Network at their annual conference in Minnesota this past June. I felt right at home as soon as I walked in the door! It is such a great feeling to know you are walking in God's will for your life!

1 comment:

  1. Tammy, I am so incredibly proud of you! I know you have such a loving heart for people, to see them walk in wholeness and purpose! Blessings on you, your family and the Legacy family there in Peachtree City! Tina Coggins, Savannah, GA

    ReplyDelete