Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Are We Listening?

Recently I had a friend email me and asked me to pray about a situation she was facing. When I responded to her, I asked her if she had asked God about it. She replied, "No I haven't. I guess I really don't want to hear what He has to say, because I'm afraid He's going to ask me to do something I don't want to do." Well, at least she's honest!

I came across a verse in my morning Bible reading today that addresses the issue of not listening to God. It is found in Ephesians 4:17-18 in the New Century Version: 17.In the Lord's name, I tell you this. Do not continue living like those who do not believe. Their thoughts are worth nothing. 18.They do not understand, and they know nothing, because they refuse to listen. So they cannot have the life that God gives. Now I know this is talking about unbelievers, but it is a warning to us to not be as the unbelievers who refuse to listen. We all tend to fall into the trap of not listening to God--whether it be because of stubborness or because of distractions of this world. When that happens, we lack some of the fullness of life God desires for us to have.

May we stop and ponder these things. I pray that this is a reminder to you, as it is to me, to turn to God and let Him "speak" to us in the many ways that only He can....be it circumstances, through Bible reading, through other people, or in that still, small voice in our spirits. Even if there are times He asks us to do something out of our comfort zone, the end result will be joy and abundant life!

No comments:

Post a Comment